The department's primary mission is to keep Newport's town-owned and operated infrastructure operating
and in good repair. To accomplish this it maintains a staff consisting of a full-time director and 3
full-time associates. These staff members possess many years of combined experience and deploy a variety of
skills which include management, planning, estimating, construction, vehicle maintenance, welding,
and of course snow plowing.
The scheduled winter hours are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The summer hours are 6:30am to 3:30pm with the crew leaving at 1:30pm on Friday's.
The following list summarizes a few of the many activities carried out in pursuit of the
· Estimating cost and resource requirements
· Management and deployment of available resources
· Road maintenance & construction
· Sidewalk maintenance & construction
· Maintenance of all town properties, including the Town Office, Police & Fire Department,
Recreation Center, the Public Boat Launch and all cemeteries
· Mowing and landscaping of town properties including roadsides, cemeteries, Transfer Station,
Rec. Center, Cultural Center and Town Office Complex
· Emptying trash receptacles
· Assisting the Water and Sewer Departments with all emergency and routine excavation when needed
· Snow plowing and sanding of all 54 miles of town roads including some State Aid Roads
· Sign installations
· Spring sweeping & calcium maintenance of all dirt roads after privatized grading
· Maintenance of all town equipment
· Monitoring of water levels and maintenance of the North Street Dam
· Additional projects as assigned by the Town Manager